Feeling like a fragrant, fresh meal that is full of healthy goodness? This is the one for you! Ratatouille is a big juicy bowl of summer’s bounty. It may take a little time to cook, but the steps are easy.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
You will need:
- 2 big tomatoes - cored and cut into inch dices
- 1 onion - sliced
- 1 celery - cut into inch thick rounds
- 1 zucchini - cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 4 medium size eggplants - cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp of olive oil (Extra virgin)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp of white whine
- salt and pepper - to taste
- parsley - roughly chopped
- Add the olive oil and onions to a large heavy-bottomed pot and saute over medium heat until the onion starts to turn caramelize.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the garlic. Cover the pot with a lid and let the onions wilt, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Add the celery, zucchini, eggplant and continue to cook and stir occasionally for about 5 mins.
- Add the tomato, bay leaf, and white wine and cover the pot with a lid. Allow the vegetables to cook until tender (15 - 20 mins), stirring occasionally.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the parsley before serving. I used cilantro (Coriander) this time, because I can't get enough of the stuff!
This ratatouille makes a great accompaniment, here with brown rice and pulled beef.
Or it stands well by itself :)